Overseas Entity Registration

Overseas entities who want to buy, sell or transfer property or land in the UK must apply for overseas entity registration with Company House. This also applies to Overseas entities who already own or lease land or property in the UK.

If you're planning on applying for overseas entity registration, Wisteria has the experience and knowledge to help guide you through the intricacies of the process.

We can provide you with the correct and relevant information for your overseas entity registration and make sure all requirements are met.

Leave a message?

Overseas Entity Registration with Wisteria

The team here at Wisteria have a thorough understanding of the requirements imposed by Companies House and the relevant format and information that needs to be included in your overseas entity registration.

If you are thinking about applying for overseas entity registration soon, or if you have already begun preparing for the application process but aren’t sure where to begin, it’s best to contact Wisteria as soon as possible. Our consultants will walk you through the entire process step-by-step, ensuring that every aspect of your application is thoroughly considered.

What the Register of Overseas Entities is

The Register of Overseas Entities came into force in the UK on 1 August 2022. The Act, which is in response to concerns over a lack of transparency on the ultimate owners of UK land where the land is registered to an overseas entity, seeks to prevent and combat the use of UK land for money laundering purposes by creating a publicly available register of beneficial owners.

The Register, held by Companies House, requires overseas entities which own UK land or property to register their beneficial owners or managing officers.

Overseas entities are companies and other organisations that are subject to the laws of a non-UK country. Overseas entities who already own or lease land or property in the UK will also need to register with Companies House by 31 January 2023 and inform Company House who their registrable beneficial owners or managing officers are.

This applies to overseas entities who bought property or land on or after:

1 January 1999 in England and Wales

8 December 2014 in Scotland

If you’re planning on applying for overseas entity registration, it’s important to have a team of experts who can guide you through the intricacies and make sure that your registration goes smoothly. Wisteria has the experience and knowledge to help guide you through the process. We can help ensure that your registration goes smoothly. We also offer a free initial consultation to give you the comfort that you are in safe hands.

Why choose Wisteria Accountants?

  • 30 Expert Team Members

  • 120+ Years of Experience

  • 1000+ Happy & Active Clients

Our Understanding

Any overseas entity that has an interest in UK land or property must register. This includes overseas entities that purchased or leased land or property in England and Wales on or after 1 January 1999. Additionally, lands or properties in Scotland acquired on or after 8 December 2014 also require registration. Leases for more than seven years in England & Wales, or 20 years in Scotland, are included within these rules.

One of the most important things you need to do for your Register of Overseas Entity is to submit an application to Company House. This application needs to describe the business you will invest in and projecting the future for that business.

You will need to provide information about the overseas entity, any registrable beneficial owners, and the UK-regulated agent that carried out verification checks. You may also need to provide information about managing officers.

In the course of its business, Wisteria has helped countless startups and entrepreneurs navigate the intricate overseas entity registration process that is required to set up a presence in the UK. Wisteria has developed the expertise necessary to help ensure that the process goes smoothly, from planning and preparation through application to finalisation.