020 8429 9245 Contact Us

November 5th 2019 / BY: Wisteria

How to Deal With Undeclared Rental Income

Key Points:

  • It is now more important than ever to ensure your tax affairs are up to date. Government systems are much improved and offer greater visibility on individuals who are not up to date
  • If you have only recently acquired a rental property, it may be possible to get things up to date by completing relevant tax returns
  • The Let Property Campaign is helping individuals with many years of undeclared income
  • A property tax specialist will help you to get things up to date whilst also minimising the tax, interest and penalties due. They will also reduce the potential stress or worry, acting as a barrier between the individual and HMRC.

Individuals who own one or more rental properties need to ensure they are correctly dealing with their tax situation.  HMRC are becoming stricter on landlords and government systems have been improved in the last few years to cross reference Land Registry records with tax returns to identify anyone who is not up to date.  Most mortgage lenders are also requiring the submission of tax returns to them prior to making a mortgage or re-mortgage offer.

The deadline for submission of a tax return is 31st January following the tax year.  This means that it is often possible to deal with tax issues up to 18 months or more after an individual begins receiving rental income.  HMRC will also often accept tax returns going back at least one further year, but this is by agreement in each case.

The Let Property Campaign is a HMRC project to encourage individuals to rectify their tax affairs.  It has been ongoing for a number of years and offers an easier way to rectify your tax affairs particularly where there may be a number of years to deal with.  Individuals that come forward under the scheme are promised a ‘lower penalty’ than if HMRC raise an enquiry.  There is no deadline for the campaign but acting sooner prevents any risk that HMRC will raise an enquiry first and put the case on a track that will likely result in higher penalties.

Many landlords have been coming forward over the last few years to get their affairs up to date.  Understanding the best approach and the way to minimise penalties and other potential payments comes from experience and understanding the attitude and approach of HMRC.  It is therefore likely to be best to work with a property tax expert that has experience dealing with undeclared rental income and property tax investigations.

Get confidential advice today

Complete the contact form below & let us know what you're looking for and a member of the wisteria team will be happy to give you a call back.